Ron DeSantis, the Republican Governor Of Florida, has recently announced as of this past Thursday that a brand new series of legislative actions from his administration is proposed as means to assist in dealing with the illegal immigration crisis spawned by President Joe Biden.
This new legislative proposal is expected to sport a high chance of making it through the voting process due to the currently held supermajorities that Republicans have in both parts of the state legislature, along with the extreme popularity currently held the DeSantis administration.
The large legislative proposal will seek to raise the penalties for things such as human smuggling, strengthens statutes for the detention of illegal aliens, requires universal use of E-Verify, enhances penalties for document falsification, and prohibits the issuance by local governments of ID cards to people who are not lawfully in the country, explained a report from the governor’s office.
“This country is unable to control its own borders,” stated DeSantis as part of a press conference at which he unveiled the new proposal. “We’ve seen millions of people come across illegally over the last two plus years. We’ve seen China, our number-one adversary, fly a spy balloon clear over the continental United States with impunity and basically humiliate our country in the process.”
The cumulative legislative proposal includes a number of penalty enhancements to deal with the smuggling of illegal aliens such as:
- 3rd-degree felony to knowingly transport, conceal, or harbor illegal aliens — punishable by 5 years in prison.
- 2nd-degree felony when the illegal alien is a minor — punishable by 15 years in prison.
- Transported individuals will be detained by law enforcement as material witnesses.
- A person charged with these offenses will not be released from jail until their first appearance.
This new proposal requires every employer within the state of Florida to make use of the E-Verify system and lets the state revoke a license for a business if the employer accrues a total of two violations across a 24-month period. The new proposal also seeks to make it a felony to utilize a piece of false identification in order to obtain eligibility.
The new plan from DeSantis entirely disincentivizes illegal immigration for the state of Florida with a number of measures such as:
- Prohibits local governments from issuing ID cards to unauthorized aliens and invalidates out-of-state licenses issued to unauthorized aliens.
- Requires affirmation of United States citizenship and legal Florida resident status for voter registration.
- Requires hospitals to collect data on immigration status of patients and to regularly submit reports on cost of care provided to illegal aliens.
- Prohibits out-of-state tuition waivers at colleges and universities for unauthorized aliens.
- Prevents unauthorized aliens from being allowed to practice law.
- Closes loopholes that allow illegal aliens to be released from ICE detention.
“With this legislation, Florida is continuing to crack down on the smuggling of illegal aliens, stopping municipalities from issuing ID cards to people here illegally, and ensuring that employers are hiring American citizens or those here legally,” explained DeSantis. “Florida is a law and order state, and we won’t turn a blind eye to the dangers of Biden’s Border Crisis. We will continue to take steps to protect Floridians from reckless federal open border policies.”
BREAKING: Gov. Ron DeSantis announces new plan to combat "Biden's border crisis"
– Require ALL employers use E-Verify
– Increase penalties for human smuggling
– Crack down on nonprofits creating IDs for illegal migrants
– Invalidate all out-of-state licenses for illegal migrants pic.twitter.com/cv3Sb7tWL4
— Florida’s Voice (@FLVoiceNews) February 23, 2023